Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A series of mistakes...and a taste of something gooey

Mistake #1: Getting a cat
Mistake #2: Taking a shower
Mistake #3: Leaving the diaper off
Mistake #4: Not bringing Shiloh into the shower with me the first time
Mistake #5: Not owning or even hoping to own a jumper or exersaucer or anything like that

So now that I have officially owned up to my mistakes, let me lay out the situation for you. It is Sunday morning. I am pleading with Shiloh to take a nap so I can jump in the shower and get ready for church. She doesn't comply. Usually when this happens, I bring some toys in the bathroom and she plays happily while I get ready. Or, one time I showered with her. But that was much too difficult and I decided against it this time.

This Sunday morning was different though. I couldn't bring Shiloh in the bathroom with me this time because of the cat (see Mistake #1). While I loved our cat growing up, little did I know how much work they really can be once you're the adult and responsible for completely taking care of the cat. Even when it gets a urinary tract infection and is peeing blood every 10 minutes. Yes, our dear little Edmund cat was peeing blood and peeing everywhere except the litter box and therefore was locked in the bathroom Sunday morning. It was not an appropriate place for a baby. It was downright disgusting and even though we had just spent the money on antibiotics, it was taking a lot of restraint to not throw the cat out the window! And to not throw up. Yuck.

So, to remind you of the situation, it's drawing dangerously near time to leave for church, I really need to get in the shower, Shiloh won't nap and can't come in the cat contaminated bathroom with me. Oh yes, and she still has yet another yeast infection and therefore I am leaving her diaper off as much as possible when I'm at home with her (see Mistake #3) . And, as my boss pointed out to me, we don't have any type of exersaucer or restraining device for a mobile infant (see Mistake #5).

I decide to get in the shower (see Mistake #2) despite these things and let her play upstairs in the safety of her room, with the ability to get into our room and the hallway as well. I close myself in the bathroom and jump in the shower and she starts crying because I've left her. But as I quickly shampoo my hair, she stops crying. I feel relieved, but pray that she's okay, and keep hurrying through the shower. Then I hear crying again and banging on the bathroom door. I assure her I'm coming soon, and pretty much do.

And this is what I find. My beautiful daughter covered in chunks and smears of poop, tasting and deciding she doesn't like the taste of her own poop, and crying because being covered in poop is not a fun thing at all. I also proceed to find poop smears in her room, my room and the hallway. Mostly, I understood the true meaning of the word shit. All I could do was laugh. And of course take Shiloh into the bathtub and clean her up (see Mistake #4).

After cleaning her up, I nursed her and as I was hoping, she got drowsy. Just as I was ready to put my sleeping babe into the crib so I could clean up the poo, she chokes on a swig of milk and is wide awake. There is no going back to the drowsy state. I decide we should just run away. But then I remember we're both pretty much naked and even though running away would solve my problem of cleaning up the poo, I really would miss Chris.....so I decide to stay. I put diapered Shiloh in her crib with some toys (even though it felt a little bit too much like sticking Lucy in her kennel) and wonder why I didn't do that in the first place (see Mistake #5). There was nothing else to do, though. She had poop in every room upstairs except the off-limits cat-infested bathroom and the off-limits office with computer cords, etc.

I find out from a quick google search that hydrogen peroxide works great to get poop out of carpets. Perfect! It's cheap and I have some! Well, I had a few teaspoons left, anyway. Of course I don't have enough. That would make something go smoothly this morning! So I use what I have and spray some cleaner on the rest while I go find the spot lifter. As I begin using the little carpet cleaner that was actually charged up and ready to go, I wonder if you're allowed to use it with other cleaners. I soon found the answer to that as out from the vents on the side shoots foaming poop water onto my legs (see Mistake #2).

In case you're wondering, we didn't make it to church this Sunday. And I'm proud to say I didn't once regret being a mom or doing anything it takes to take care of Shiloh. That cat on the other hand........

7 comments:

Heather said...

I am laughing with you!! Yesterday, I was cutting fingernails to make it easier to get to the poo that was mysteriously under them and when I still didn't quited get it....I had to turn to the ole' toothbrush to help me out! hahaha!!! Not my nails....but my toothbrush! haha....should have used Ty's .....heehee! And like you...I just laughed!

In Light of the Truth... said...

Oh boy!! The joys of mommyhood...

Kara said...

That is a fantastic story. I'm glad you wrote it down for posterity's sake! I'm sure 16-yr-old Shiloh will also be glad! :)

Unknown said...

Hilarious Erin! Gave me a good giggle this morning. Oh....the things we go through as moms.... =)

Sonja said...

Wow Erin! That was soooo funny! NOt much else could have happened except if the cat went poo too! The joys of motherhood are boundless and I am sure you learned a lot about humor and what not to do next time! Cute! Do you have pictures of Shiloh in her poo doo? That would be a riot. Hope you all have recovered and the cat is doing better! God Bless!

Amber said...

You are amazing. What a mom, for sure! Exciting to read about Shiloh's little adventures...

Emily Anne Carson said...

:) :) :) :) :) :) I'm laughing really loud and I think the entire apartment complex can hear me.

I love you, Erin. :)