Saturday, December 22, 2012

Merry Christmas 2012!

Shiloh...turned 4 in August and really keeps us on our toes. She loves art and threatens to use up the world's supply of glue and tape on a regular basis. When I asked Shiloh what she would like me to say about her, I got this report: "I love green, fruit, to watch Dinosaur Train, the Christmas tree, and to go to preschool."  I will add that she really loves learning and reading, being outside, her friend Ernie ( and being at Robyn's house), Kindermusik and Kindergym and her dollhouse. And while she may not say it, she loves her brother, is a wonderful big sister, and is developing a generous heart!

Avdon... turned 2 in August and is a ball of energy. He is a joyful little boy with the excitement and curiosity that comes along with being two. His language skills blow us away, and while he remains a little guy, he is very bright! Avdon likes diggers, reading, playing outside, Kindermusik, Shiloh and doing whatever Shiloh is doing.

Chris...Still teaching music lessons and still leading worship a couple times a month on more of a contract basis. This year was spent adjusting from going from the world of full-time ministry to full-time auto parts. It has changed our family life tremendously by having him home more often and he has learned incredible amounts about life and business from all the changes at his current job, including the set-up of an entirely new business of online auto parts. See www.virota.com (they go live in January!).
He's also learning a lot about remodeling as we gutted and completely remodeled the kitchen. He spent a couple weekends in Minnesota recording his new CD, which we hope to release early- to mid-2013. He is such a blessing to our family!

Erin...I keep up with the three mentioned above while still working part-time as a home visitor for Head Start :). After enduring the kitchen remodel from October through December (and hopefully not too much beyond!), I look forward to more time in the kitchen, and have already had priceless moments with the kids doing art or eating a snack at our new countertop spaces while I work away. I have started doing some of the premarital counseling sessions at our church, and found I really enjoy that. Another highlight of my year was standing in as a doula for a dear friend who had a baby this fall. I am very excited for the opportunity to help another friend through labor and delivery in  January. If that isn't enough to keep me busy, I also greatly enjoy investing in my small group from church, and teaching Sunday School and Bible studies.

Other highlights of 2012 include a summer trip to Colorado to visit family; celebrating with Chris' sister Noelle at her wedding and welcoming Uncle Chris to the family; a trip for Erin and Shiloh to  Columbus, Ohio to visit Jacque; weekend family getaway to Dubuque; weekend trip for Erin back to Colorado for Elicia and Dustin's wedding and a girls weekend with Erin's college roommates in  Chicago; time spent with dear friends the Clarksons, back in Iowa on a break from their work in East Africa; a ride for the kids on a boat, canoe, train, and horseback; Thanksgiving with Gram in Omaha, and lots of wonderful moments right here with family and friends.
 
Wow. When I type it all out like that, I am overwhelmed by the beautiful year we have had. We give  thanks to God for this special season in our life, while praying especially this time of year for those who have had to search much harder for their blessings. May you all experience the love and presence of God with us this Christmas!

Love,
The Family Trip

No comments: