Wednesday, May 18, 2011

At long last.....I return to the blogging world. There are no good excuses, other than the fact that my almost 9-month-old prefers for me, and only me, to hold him if we are at home between the hours of 4:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. Once in awhile we all nap at the same time (as long as I have physical contact with Avdon). But I was telling Chris today, I can hardly remember the last time that both of my kids were sleeping at the same time before 8:30 p.m. and I was able to, you know, do laundry without hauling kids down to the basement or leave them screaming upstairs wondering if I will ever return from the dark abyss. Let alone clean, organize, keep up responsibly with email, take care of myself (what? exercise?), or take the time to blog. It's weird to think that most of our grandparents and certainly great-grandparents wouldn't even know what the word blog means. (By the way, here's a shout out to our very wonderful grandparents who navigate the web, check email and blogs, and enjoy digital photographs!!). But keeping you all up-to-date has been on my mind, even though I don't get around to it often!

So here I am, finally blogging, and not in the least bit complaining; just giving you a picture of what life has been like since our newest family member arrived. Avdon has been an absolute joy. I love getting to hold him and snuggle with him, even if it means nothing else gets done. And now that he's crawling, he is more willing to be on the floor by himself and I'm getting short bursts of time with two hands open to fold laundry or start meal prep. I know this time will go all too quickly, so I try my hardest to enjoy it. Sleepless nights and busy days, though they be.

Avdon turns 9 months this week, which is just so hard to believe! Our little guy has definitely been little, weighing in at the 5th percentile at every check-up. I think we've been making progress in the past 2 months or so as he's finally getting some chub on him! If you didn't catch on earlier, sleeping is not one of Avdon's strong talents. He basically naps only if he's being held and certainly doesn't make it through the night yet. He is sleeping from about 8:00 pm to 3:00 am. On good nights. Once in awhile. Sometimes....
He's off and crawling and is becoming quite the climber as well. He pulls himself to standing and cruises along furniture. Despite battling ear infection and multiple allergic reactions to antibiotics this month, he has stayed pretty healthy and is almost always happy. Especially in Mom's arms. It's so fun to see him start using his body purposefully, both in getting to where he wants to go and clapping and waving. Eating food has been a slow process, but he does enjoy feeding himself and apparently likes his food flavored as opposed to bland. Favorites so far include , peach/squash yogurt, tofu, broccoli, and homemade smoothies, guacamole & hummus. He of course adores his sister and this month especially, has become excited and noticeably attached to Robyn. I am so thankful that my children just love their babysitter!

And speaking of the babysitter, this is a quick photo of Shiloh on her way out the door to Robyn's house. Can you guess what she is? Life with Shiloh is certainly never dull, and for the last several months, an animal often has replaced our daughter. Shiloh embraces her kitty (or bunny or dog or donkey, etc.) persona with gusto. She daily informs us what kind of family we are: "We are the kitty family," "we are the seal family," "we are the puppy family." Take no offense if you greet Shiloh and she replies only with "meow." The "meow" comes out in her excitement to greet someone at the door and in her temper tantrums as the only recognizable word.This girl lives and breathes kitty.

When Shiloh is not a kitty or some other animal, she continues to play well on her own, mostly with dolls and Daddy's action figures. Every toy is named and her play is very focused on people and what they are doing. Our extroverted little girl greets us in the morning by saying "where are we going today?" or "who are we going to see?" or "who is coming?" She also sings all the time. We pretty much live in a musical. She loves making up songs and adapting songs and tunes to fit what she is doing. And she gets lots of examples from Mom and Dad doing the same thing. Kindermusik classes add greatly to Shiloh's love of singing and the songs we learn there have definitely worked their way into our everyday lives!

And that's all I have for now. It took three days to get this post to this point, so I'm going to stop where I am and have high hopes of blogging more regularly again. I have started putting all of our photos on a different, password protected sight, that is actually current up through April. If you would like to have access to that sight and don't already, send me an email or leave a comment here with your email address.

As always, thanks for reading and loving and supporting us!!!

1 comment:

Emily Anne Carson said...

Beautiful post! So glad to read the family updates. Love you and think of you often.

-Em