Sunday, July 18, 2010

Camping!

We took our first camping trip with Shiloh over the July 4th weekend to the family campground at the Bible Camp Chris and I both worked at. We had beautiful weather (thanks to the weather experts who predicted rain later in the weekend, convincing us to go camping earlier than we first were planning!). The campground was quiet and we remembered most of the supplies we were hoping for...Really, who needs things like hand soap or blankets/sleeping bags to keep warm with anyway when you're out in the wilderness?

Shiloh and this friendly kitty hit it off. She was thrilled that the cat stuck around our campsite the whole night. And when she sees this picture says "kitty was petting me!" which it really was, I suppose!

Playing at the playground was a huge hit. Shiloh loves to climb up ladders. She has yet to demonstrate any fear of falling, though and will just sometimes decide that she is done climbing and let go...

It's not camping if you don't make some sort of tasty treat that will stick in your hair!

Sleeping turned out to be the most challenging part of the trip for all of us! I normally enjoy sleeping on the ground when camping, but this time around I decided we needed to have an air mattress in hopes I would get at least a little bit of sleep. We showed Shiloh her sleeping bag and offered the mattress as well, but it was still hard work to convince her that we would come join her in the tent. She was pretty skeptical about going to sleep in there all by herself! She talked and roamed in the tent for quite awhile while Chris and I sat around the fire and enjoyed our s'mores, and where does she end up finally crashing? Horizontally on the air mattress! We managed to all squeeze on the mostly inflated mattress for the night, but I'm pretty sure Shiloh is the only who slept!

We spent the next morning picking wild raspberries. Shiloh had a blast. She was completely unaffected by the scratches on her arms and just dove right in to eat the berries. Her face and hands were totally stained, clear evidence of a good raspberry picking morning!


Despite Shiloh not contributing a single berry to the bucket, we still ended up with quite a large stash of berries. I made two batches of my Mom's tasty raspberry coffee cake and we made a quadruple batch of raspberry gelato with the leftovers that we couldn't eat with our cereal any longer. What a fun way to end our camping trip. We'll definitely do it again, and this time with a more complete list of what not to forget at home! Check out our picasa photo site to see some more pictures of camping and visiting the camp farm during our morning outing!

No comments: