I'm back!! Shiloh is a week and a half old already!! The week has just flown by and has been filled with countless visitors, countless feedings and countless moments of joy. (Notice I didn't mention anything about countless hours of sleep...I think we can count those!). Shiloh is such a blessing.
First of all, thank you all for your prayers and for all the great posts on our guestbook. They are so fun to read!
I see that Chris has been doing a great job of updating pictures and narrating the events. (We will be adding a link soon to a new picture page since we've about filled this website up!) I really don't have much to add to the birth story. Chris was an amazing coach, I never could have done it without him! He also had some important jobs he failed to mention. It was Dad's job to cut the cord and announce the sex. He of course did great with both tasks, although we were both very surprised that our baby was a girl! We were so pleased with the care of our midwife during and after delivery. It was definitely an intense experience! The most difficult part for me has been the postpartum recovery. Each day I'm feeling better, though.
Shiloh was welcomed at church on Sunday with a huge cheer. It was so strange to walk to church last week pregnant and this week holding a baby!
We had Shiloh's 1 week check Monday with Dr. Kontos. She is gaining weight and looking very healthy.
Breastfeeding has been a challenge but we're getting used to each other and learning together. I have great support from the lactation consultants at Allen and went to a support group on Friday there as well. It's such a miracle that I can make what she needs! I'm still at the point that I get excited for diaper changes because it means that all of our hard work is paying off and she is getting the nourishment she needs!
The worst thing in life for Shiloh has been getting those diaper changes and even more so changing clothes or getting a sponge bath. She just screams and screams and gets so upset! But it seems as if she might be accepting the fact that these things are going to happen on a fairly regular basis and the diaper/dirty outfit change in the middle of the night last night was quite uneventful. We started her on cloth diapers this week and absolutely love using them! Shiloh seems to respond much better to the soft diapers and she also tells us sooner that she needs a diaper change!
I often have moments of just looking at Shiloh and wondering how she started out so small, grew inside of me, and then managed to come out. It is the most incredible thing I have ever experienced. I love her facial expressions and could (and do) watch her for hours. She is so amazingly beautiful!
I want to hang on to these moments forever, keeping her so small and precious. But then I get a smile from her and get so excited for the day when it's a real smile and not just a reflex. Just yesterday Shiloh started focusing on someone's eyes intently-I love it! I'm excited to see what she'll look like and who she will be. We're both so excited to teach her and grow with her and read lots and lots of books to her!
More soon!
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment